The Auroville Matrimandir golden globe and Mahabalipuram, India, a UNESCO world heritage site and the famous Krishna’s Butterball.
This was my last full day in Tamil Nadu. I had so much fun but it was also kind of sad knowing I was leaving, I loved it here. For our last day, we took a day trip out to a couple of very famous places in Tamil Nadu. One was Auroville, which is a very interesting international commune. This place also has a massive golden globe where people go to meditate and pray. After visiting there I headed off to Mahabalipuram. There they have a UNESCO world heritage site known for its incredible carvings into giant rock formations.
Auroville And The Matrimandir
Auroville is an experimental township in the state of Tamil Nadu with part of it in Puducherry. Its founder said this about the township.
Auroville wants to be a universal town where men and women of all countries are able to live in peace and progressive harmony, above all creeds, all politics and all nationalities. The purpose of Auroville is to realize human unity.”– Mirra Alfassa
In the middle of the town is the Matrimandir, Alfassa had the idea for it as “a symbol of the Divine’s answer to man’s aspiration for perfection”. Silence is maintained inside the Matrimandir to ensure the tranquility of the space. The entire area surrounding the Matrimandir is called the Peace area.
Group of Monuments at Mahabalipuram
These monuments were so cool to see in real life. It was also amazing how old they were. People made the reliefs between 800AD and 900AD.
This is an incredibly massive boulder that sits perfectly balanced on a slope. It looks like it’s going to roll down but it doesn’t, it just sits there.
More Photos From My Incredible Trip to India:
- The Taj Mahal In Agra, India Was A Breathtaking Sight Of Awe And Beauty
- New Delhi & Agra, India – Seats Of Power And Poverty
- Auroville Matrimandir & Mahabalipuram, India with Krishna’s Butterball
- Puducherry, India Is A Seaside French Settlement With A Unique Culture
- Chidambaram, India – A Small Town With The Famous Nataraja Temple
- Nagapattinam, India – Beautiful Orphans And A Ring of Fire
- Velankanni, India – A Small Indian Beach Town With A Famous Basilica
- An Indian Girl Who Chose To Love Despite Her Tragic Life Story
- Tsunami Survivor K. Pasupathi’s Story About Surviving The 2004 Tsunami
- Kumbakonam, India, A City Known For Its Silk Dyeing And Weaving Skills
- Mayiladuthurai, Tharangambadi, and Poombuhar In Tamil Nadu, India
- Thanjavur, India, An Ancient City Of Temples And Art
- Namakkal, India, A Day Of Rekla Races And A Massive Pongal Festival
- Yercaud, India, A Beautiful Town Located In The Mountains
- Coimbatore, India Is A Small Bustling City With Amazing Food
- Salem, India – A Vibrant City With Pongal Festival Celebrations
- Bangalore, India, A Enormous City Famous For Technology and Religion
- Hosur, India Is A Rural City With Beautiful Mystical Tropical Landscapes
- India, Arriving In An Incredible And Mysterious New Place