This was my last full day in Tamil Nadu, I had so much fun but it was also kind of sad knowing I was leaving, I loved it here. For our last day we took a day trip out to a couple very famous places in Tamil Nadu. One was Auroville which is a very interesting international commune with a massive gold dome where people go to meditate and pray. After there I headed off to Mahabalipuram to visit UNESCO world heritage site known for it’s incredible carvings into giant rock formations.
Auroville And The Matrimandir
Aurovile is an experimental township in the state of Tamil Nadu with part of it in Puducherry. It’s founder said this about the township.
Auroville wants to be a universal town where men and women of all countries are able to live in peace and progressive harmony, above all creeds, all politics and all nationalities. The purpose of Auroville is to realize human unity.”– Mirra Alfassa
In the middle of the town is the Matrimandir, Alfassa had the idea for it as “a symbol of the Divine’s answer to man’s aspiration for perfection”. Silence is maintained inside the Matrimandir to ensure the tranquility of the space and the entire area surrounding the Matrimandir is called the Peace area.
Group of Monuments at Mahabalipuram
These monuments were so cool to see real life. It was also amazing how old they were, they were made between 800AD and 900AD.
Trip To India Posts
1. India – Arriving In A Mysterious New Place
2. Hosur, India – My First True Taste of India
3. Bengaluru, India – The City of Technology and Religion
4. Salem, India – From Daily Life to the Pongal Festival
5. Coimbatore, India – Small City with Exotic Food
6. Yercaud, India – Getting Some Time With Nature
7. Namakkal, India – All Day Long Celebrations
8. Thanjavur, India – The City of Temples
9. Mayiladuthurai, Tharangambadi, and Poompuhar, India – First View of the Coast
10. Kumbakonam, India – Home Life and Fine Silk
11. Karaikal, India – Meeting Tsunami Survivor K. Pasupathi
12. Velankanni, India – A Small Beach Town With A Famous Basilica
13. Nagapattinam, India – Beautiful Orphans And A Ring of Fire
14. Chidambaram, India – A Small Town With A Long History
15. Puducherry, India – Marriage, Zen, Art, And A Beach
16. Auroville & Mahabalipuram, India – A Golden Dome and Krishna’s Butterball
17. New Delhi & Agra, India – Seats Of Power And Poverty
18. The Taj Mahal