This was my last full day in Tamil Nadu, I had so much fun but it was also kind of sad knowing I was leaving, I loved it here. For our last day, we took a day trip out to a couple of very famous places in Tamil Nadu. One was Auroville which is a very interesting international commune with a massive gold dome where people go to meditate and pray. After there I headed off to Mahabalipuram to visit UNESCO world heritage site known for its incredible carvings into giant rock formations.
Auroville And The Matrimandir
Auroville is an experimental township in the state of Tamil Nadu with part of it in Puducherry. It’s founder said this about the township.
Auroville wants to be a universal town where men and women of all countries are able to live in peace and progressive harmony, above all creeds, all politics and all nationalities. The purpose of Auroville is to realize human unity.”– Mirra Alfassa
In the middle of the town is the Matrimandir, Alfassa had the idea for it as “a symbol of the Divine’s answer to man’s aspiration for perfection”. Silence is maintained inside the Matrimandir to ensure the tranquility of the space and the entire area surrounding the Matrimandir is called the Peace area.
Group of Monuments at Mahabalipuram
These monuments were so cool to see real life. It was also amazing how old they were, they were made between 800AD and 900AD.
More Photos From My Incredible Trip to India:
- The Taj Mahal In Agra, India Was A Breathtaking Sight Of Awe And Beauty
- Photos: New Delhi & Agra, India – Seats Of Power And Poverty
- Photos: Auroville & Mahabalipuram, India – A Golden Dome and Krishna’s Butterball
- Puducherry, India Is A Seaside French Settlement With A Unique Culture
- Chidambaram, India – A Small Town With The Famous Nataraja Temple
- Nagapattinam, India – Beautiful Orphans And A Ring of Fire
- Velankanni, India – A Small Indian Beach Town With A Famous Basilica
- An Indian Girl Who Chose To Love Despite Her Tragic Life Story
- Tsunami Survivor K. Pasupathi’s Story About Surviving The 2004 Tsunami
- Kumbakonam, India – Home Life and Fine Silk
- Photos: Mayiladuthurai, Tharangambadi, and Poombuhar, India – First View of the Coast
- Thanjavur, India, An Ancient City Of Temples And Art
- Photos: Namakkal, India – All Day Long Celebrations
- Photos: Yercaud, India – Getting Some Time With Nature
- Photos: Coimbatore, India – Small City with Exotic Food
- Salem, India – A Vibrant City With Pongal Festival Celebrations
- Photos: Bengaluru, India – The City of Technology and Religion
- Photos: Hosur, India – My First True Taste of India
- Photos: India – Arriving In A Mysterious New Place