In Kumbakonam, Tamil Nadu we spend some time walking around the town and visiting people in their homes.
Silk Dying and Weaving
We visited a place where they made weaved silk scarves or stoles. They showed us how they first dye the scarves in hot water over a fire. Then they demonstrated how they weave beautiful intricate and detailed patterns into each scarf and stole.
Since I had been in India I’ve been so focused on capturing all the city scenes and amazing sights. Each city I went to I stayed with an Indian family in the evening. They were always very generous and welcoming. They made such delicious food and I ate with my right hand. I realized I hadn’t captured what it was like inside of the homes I was staying in. All the homes had shrines and religious symbols all over them. They were a hybrid of comfort and old fashion. They also all have sinks located right by the dinner table, restaurants have this too, to make sure people clean immediately before and after eating.
More Photos From My Incredible Trip to India:
- Photos: The Taj Mahal
- Photos: New Delhi & Agra, India – Seats Of Power And Poverty
- Photos: Auroville & Mahabalipuram, India – A Golden Dome and Krishna’s Butterball
- Photos: Puducherry, India – Marriage, Zen, Art, And A Beach
- Photos: Chidambaram, India – A Small Town With A Long History
- Photos: Nagapattinam, India – Beautiful Orphans And A Ring of Fire
- Photos: Velankanni, India – A Small Beach Town With A Famous Basilica
- Photos: Karaikal, India – Meeting Tsunami Survivor K. Pasupathi
- Photos: Kumbakonam, India – Home Life and Fine Silk
- Photos: Mayiladuthurai, Tharangambadi, and Poombuhar, India – First View of the Coast
- Photos: Thanjavur, India – The City of Temples
- Photos: Namakkal, India – All Day Long Celebrations
- Photos: Yercaud, India – Getting Some Time With Nature
- Photos: Coimbatore, India – Small City with Exotic Food
- Photos: Salem, India – From Daily Life to the Pongal Festival
- Photos: Bengaluru, India – The City of Technology and Religion
- Photos: Hosur, India – My First True Taste of India
- Photos: India – Arriving In A Mysterious New Place