Mayiladuthurai is the next city I visited. After there I went to Tharangambadi and Poompuhar, Tamil Nadu. I visited three towns in one day. Saw amazing things in each one.
Here I visited a woman’s college and was part of a tree-planting ceremony. Then I visited an elementary school full of sweet and energetic children.
Tharangambadi – Fort Dansborg
Here I visited an old Danish Fort also known as Fort Dansborg, built in 1620. The fort was very interesting. I thought the people that hung around it more interesting. It was located on the Bay of Bengal coast right by a beach where people go to hang out. This is was my first time seeing a beach in India. It was really pretty and lively with people scattered throughout it. I thought it was interesting how everyone was wearing full clothes, no bathing suits. The sight of cows and goats roaming around on the beach was a very new sight for me.
Poombuhar – Silapathikaram Art Gallery
After the fort, we went to the Silapathikaram Art Gallery in Poombuhar. It was a really cool building with architecture that was a hybrid of Indian and Asian. At the gallery, outside of it, there were very detailed life-sized sculptures of women in various dance poses. I always thought it was interesting how the body shapes of the women in their sculptures look so similar to some famous American women that have had cosmetic surgery and implants.
More Photos From My Incredible Trip to India:
- Photos: The Taj Mahal
- Photos: New Delhi & Agra, India – Seats Of Power And Poverty
- Photos: Auroville & Mahabalipuram, India – A Golden Dome and Krishna’s Butterball
- Photos: Puducherry, India – Marriage, Zen, Art, And A Beach
- Chidambaram, India – A Small Town With The Famous Nataraja Temple
- Nagapattinam, India – Beautiful Orphans And A Ring of Fire
- Photos: Velankanni, India – A Small Beach Town With A Famous Basilica
- An Indian Girl Who Chose To Love Despite Her Tragic Life Story
- Tsunami Survivor K. Pasupathi’s Story About Surviving The 2004 Tsunami
- Photos: Kumbakonam, India – Home Life and Fine Silk
- Photos: Mayiladuthurai, Tharangambadi, and Poombuhar, India – First View of the Coast
- Thanjavur, India, An Ancient City Of Temples And Art
- Photos: Namakkal, India – All Day Long Celebrations
- Photos: Yercaud, India – Getting Some Time With Nature
- Photos: Coimbatore, India – Small City with Exotic Food
- Photos: Salem, India – From Daily Life to the Pongal Festival
- Photos: Bengaluru, India – The City of Technology and Religion
- Photos: Hosur, India – My First True Taste of India
- Photos: India – Arriving In A Mysterious New Place