Mayiladuthurai is the next city I visited. After there I went to Tharangambadi and Poompuhar, Tamil Nadu. I visited three towns in one day. Saw amazing things in each one.
Here I visited an woman’s college and was part of a tree planting ceremony. Then I visited an elementary school full of sweet and energetic children.
Tharangambadi – Fort Dansborg
Here I visited an old Danish Fort also known as Fort Dansborg built in 1620. The fort was very interesting. More interesting to me though where people around it. It was located on the Bay of Bengal coast right by a beach were people go to hang out. This is was my first time seeing a beach in India. It was really pretty and lively with people scattered through out it. I thought it was interesting how everyone was wearing full clothes, no bathing suits. The sight of cows and goats roaming around on the beach was a very new sight for me.
Poombuhar – Silapathikaram Art Gallery
After the fort we went to the Silapathikaram Art Gallery in Poombuhar. It was a really cool building with architecture that was a hybrid of Indian and Asian. At the gallery, outside of it, there were very detailed life sized sculptures of women in various dance poses. I always thought it was interesting how the body shapes of the women in their sculptures look so similar to some famous American women that have had cosmetic surgery and implants.
Trip To India Posts
1. India – Arriving In A Mysterious New Place
2. Hosur, India – My First True Taste of India
3. Bengaluru, India – The City of Technology and Religion
4. Salem, India – From Daily Life to the Pongal Festival
5. Coimbatore, India – Small City with Exotic Food
6. Yercaud, India – Getting Some Time With Nature
7. Namakkal, India – All Day Long Celebrations
8. Thanjavur, India – The City of Temples
9. Mayiladuthurai, Tharangambadi, and Poompuhar, India – First View of the Coast
10. Kumbakonam, India – Home Life and Fine Silk
11. Karaikal, India – Meeting Tsunami Survivor K. Pasupathi
12. Velankanni, India – A Small Beach Town With A Famous Basilica
13. Nagapattinam, India – Beautiful Orphans And A Ring of Fire
14. Chidambaram, India – A Small Town With A Long History
15. Puducherry, India – Marriage, Zen, Art, And A Beach
16. Auroville & Mahabalipuram, India – A Golden Dome and Krishna’s Butterball
17. New Delhi & Agra, India – Seats Of Power And Poverty
18. The Taj Mahal