The stop in Namakkal, Tamil Nadu was a very eventful one. It was a long day of none top people, excitement, energy, and interesting sights. The day started off with watching men racehorses through the town Roman-style called a Rekla Race.
Then we stopped at a poultry farm and saw what seemed like a million chickens being raised to lay eggs and then be slaughtered. After that, we joined the mayor of Namakkal to watch a massive Pongal Festival parade with some of the most amazing and craziest things I’ve ever seen. Then we finished the night with several dance performances by local high school students and adults.
Rekla Races have race bulls or horses pull makeshift carts for some defined distance. The winners are then given prizes. This sport used to be popular during the three-day Pongal festival in Tamil Nadu. The Rekla Races were banned in 2014 due to cruelty and abuse that happened to some of the animals at the hands of the racers.
I had never been to a poultry farm. This was truly an eye-opening experience. Seeing all of the chickens in cages as they grow up and lay eggs and wait to be slaughtered. It was a sad sight but seems necessary in a country of over a billion people.
Pongal Festival Parade
Then we were invited by the mayor of Namakkal to sit with him and watch a massive Pongal Festival parade. At the parade, people did dances, performances, and stunts.
I finished the day off with an evening of musical dances that were mesmerizing and beautiful.
More Photos From My Incredible Trip to India:
- Photos: The Taj Mahal
- Photos: New Delhi & Agra, India – Seats Of Power And Poverty
- Photos: Auroville & Mahabalipuram, India – A Golden Dome and Krishna’s Butterball
- Photos: Puducherry, India – Marriage, Zen, Art, And A Beach
- Photos: Chidambaram, India – A Small Town With A Long History
- Photos: Nagapattinam, India – Beautiful Orphans And A Ring of Fire
- Photos: Velankanni, India – A Small Beach Town With A Famous Basilica
- Photos: Karaikal, India – Meeting Tsunami Survivor K. Pasupathi
- Photos: Kumbakonam, India – Home Life and Fine Silk
- Photos: Mayiladuthurai, Tharangambadi, and Poombuhar, India – First View of the Coast
- Photos: Thanjavur, India – The City of Temples
- Photos: Namakkal, India – All Day Long Celebrations
- Photos: Yercaud, India – Getting Some Time With Nature
- Photos: Coimbatore, India – Small City with Exotic Food
- Photos: Salem, India – From Daily Life to the Pongal Festival
- Photos: Bengaluru, India – The City of Technology and Religion
- Photos: Hosur, India – My First True Taste of India
- Photos: India – Arriving In A Mysterious New Place