Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu is very famous for its many ancient temples. The most famous one, the Brihadisvara Temple, was built over 1,000 years ago. It features Dravidian architecture from that era in India. All of the temples here are incredibly detailed and massive. I had the opportunity to visit several of the temples and admire their architecture and religious significance to Hindus.
While in Thanjavur, before I went to the temples, I had the opportunity to visit metal smiths who create Hindu statues by hand in their workshop.
After getting to witness men handcraft amazing sculptures we headed off to the famous Brihadisvara Temple which part of the Great Living Chola Temples. It was much bigger in person than I thought it was. I couldn’t believe it. It was massive 1,000 year old temple that people still go to all day every day. Every single inch on it has detailed carvings. It was a truly remarkable structure to see in real life.
Thanjavur Royal Palace Museum and Art Gallery
Right after visiting the temple we headed over to the Thanjavur Royal Palace Museum and Art Gallery were we got see some amazing ancient works of art. I took a couple photos of my favorite pieces.
Trip To India Posts
1. India – Arriving In A Mysterious New Place
2. Hosur, India – My First True Taste of India
3. Bengaluru, India – The City of Technology and Religion
4. Salem, India – From Daily Life to the Pongal Festival
5. Coimbatore, India – Small City with Exotic Food
6. Yercaud, India – Getting Some Time With Nature
7. Namakkal, India – All Day Long Celebrations
8. Thanjavur, India – The City of Temples
9. Mayiladuthurai, Tharangambadi, and Poompuhar, India – First View of the Coast
10. Kumbakonam, India – Home Life and Fine Silk
11. Karaikal, India – Meeting Tsunami Survivor K. Pasupathi
12. Velankanni, India – A Small Beach Town With A Famous Basilica
13. Nagapattinam, India – Beautiful Orphans And A Ring of Fire
14. Chidambaram, India – A Small Town With A Long History
15. Puducherry, India – Marriage, Zen, Art, And A Beach
16. Auroville & Mahabalipuram, India – A Golden Dome and Krishna’s Butterball
17. New Delhi & Agra, India – Seats Of Power And Poverty
18. The Taj Mahal