Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu is very famous for its many ancient temples. The most famous one, the Brihadisvara Temple, was built over 1,000 years ago. It features Dravidian architecture from that era in India. All of the temples here are incredibly detailed and massive. I had the opportunity to visit several of the temples and admire their architecture and religious significance to Hindus.
While in Thanjavur, before I went to the temples, I had the opportunity to visit metalsmiths who create Hindu statues by hand in their workshop.
After getting to witness men handcraft amazing sculptures we headed off to the famous Brihadisvara Temple which part of the Great Living Chola Temples. It was much bigger in person than I thought it was. I couldn’t believe it. It was a massive 1,000-year-old temple that people still go to all day every day. Every single inch on it has detailed carvings. It was a truly remarkable structure to see in real life.
Thanjavur Royal Palace Museum and Art Gallery
Right after visiting the temple, we headed over to the Thanjavur Royal Palace Museum and Art Gallery where we got see some amazing ancient works of art. I took a couple of photos of my favorite pieces.
More Photos From My Incredible Trip to India:
- Photos: The Taj Mahal
- Photos: New Delhi & Agra, India – Seats Of Power And Poverty
- Photos: Auroville & Mahabalipuram, India – A Golden Dome and Krishna’s Butterball
- Photos: Puducherry, India – Marriage, Zen, Art, And A Beach
- Photos: Chidambaram, India – A Small Town With A Long History
- Photos: Nagapattinam, India – Beautiful Orphans And A Ring of Fire
- Photos: Velankanni, India – A Small Beach Town With A Famous Basilica
- Photos: Karaikal, India – Meeting Tsunami Survivor K. Pasupathi
- Photos: Kumbakonam, India – Home Life and Fine Silk
- Photos: Mayiladuthurai, Tharangambadi, and Poombuhar, India – First View of the Coast
- Photos: Thanjavur, India – The City of Temples
- Photos: Namakkal, India – All Day Long Celebrations
- Photos: Yercaud, India – Getting Some Time With Nature
- Photos: Coimbatore, India – Small City with Exotic Food
- Photos: Salem, India – From Daily Life to the Pongal Festival
- Photos: Bengaluru, India – The City of Technology and Religion
- Photos: Hosur, India – My First True Taste of India
- Photos: India – Arriving In A Mysterious New Place