Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu in India is very famous for its many ancient temples. The most famous temple is the Brihadisvara Temple. This temple was built over 1,000 years ago and features Dravidian architecture from that era in India. The temples here are massive and have incredible detail. Fortunately, I had the opportunity to visit several of the temples and admire their architecture and religious significance to Hindus.
While in Thanjavur, before I went to the temples, I had the opportunity to visit metalsmiths who create Hindu statues by hand in their workshop.
Afterward, we headed off to the famous Brihadisvara Temple which part of the Great Living Chola Temples. The Brihadisvara Temple is extremely tall, 217 feet tall. I couldn’t believe it. Also, it’s over 1,000 years old and people still go to all day every day. Furthermore, this temple had detailed carvings and etchings on every single inch of its exterior. It was a truly remarkable structure to see in real life.
Thanjavur Royal Palace Museum and Art Gallery
Immediately, after visiting the temple, we headed over to the Thanjavur Royal Palace Museum and Art Gallery. There we saw some amazing ancient works of art. I took a couple of photos of my favorite pieces.
More Photos From My Incredible Trip to India:
- Photos: The Taj Mahal
- Photos: New Delhi & Agra, India – Seats Of Power And Poverty
- Photos: Auroville & Mahabalipuram, India – A Golden Dome and Krishna’s Butterball
- Photos: Puducherry, India – Marriage, Zen, Art, And A Beach
- Chidambaram, India – A Small Town With The Famous Nataraja Temple
- Nagapattinam, India – Beautiful Orphans And A Ring of Fire
- Photos: Velankanni, India – A Small Beach Town With A Famous Basilica
- An Indian Girl Who Chose To Love Despite Her Tragic Life Story
- Tsunami Survivor K. Pasupathi’s Story About Surviving The 2004 Tsunami
- Photos: Kumbakonam, India – Home Life and Fine Silk
- Photos: Mayiladuthurai, Tharangambadi, and Poombuhar, India – First View of the Coast
- Thanjavur, India, An Ancient City Of Temples And Art
- Photos: Namakkal, India – All Day Long Celebrations
- Photos: Yercaud, India – Getting Some Time With Nature
- Photos: Coimbatore, India – Small City with Exotic Food
- Photos: Salem, India – From Daily Life to the Pongal Festival
- Photos: Bengaluru, India – The City of Technology and Religion
- Photos: Hosur, India – My First True Taste of India
- Photos: India – Arriving In A Mysterious New Place